Tuesday, October 18, 2005

John Simon on Criticism

Just a quick quote from Newsweek (September 26, 2005), in John Simon's piece Criticism in an Uncritical Age. Simon, apparently, recently published three volumes of his theatre, film, and music reviews. That such reviews are considered worth reading long after they were written is an achievement. His short piece in Newsweek examines the art and relevance of criticism in an age where everyone's a critic. Anyway, two quotes.
Like any self-respecting critic, I have always encouraged my readers to think for themselves. They were to consider my positive or negative assessments, which I always tried to explain, a challenge to think along with me: here is my reasoning, follow it, then agree or disagree as you see fit.

And later:
I have always maintained that a critic has three duties: to write as well as a novelist or playwright; to be a teacher, taking off from where the classroom, always prematurely, has stopped; and to be a thinker, looking beyond his specific subject at society, history, philosophy.

These are inspring words. I read lots of opinion pages in newspapers and magazines, and thoroughly dislike strong opinions being voiced without strong arguments being made behind them. (Opinion writers are merely critics of society, so Simon's words should apply.) Worthwhile critics invite the reader to disagree with them by laying out their reasoning instead of bludgeoning the reader with unrepentant ideology. The most enjoyable analysis of politics, policy, and society is sparklingly well written: enjoyable to read regardless of the content.

So thank you, John Simon; I'll look into your three volumes of reviews with pleasure.

No comments: